Sunday, February 7, 2010

The Odd Couple

Species
Banded Gecko Coleonyx variegatus
Stripe Tail Scorpion Vaejovis spinigerus

Disclaimer: I believe this worked because the owner had experience with both species before he mixed them. These are not my animals. DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME WITHOUT PRIOR EXPERIENCE.

I was searching through the internet and I found some interesting pictures that I found pretty odd yet cool. At first I thought they are eating each other. Then I read what the owner of this setup wrote and realized that they actually have a mutual relationship (meaning that they benefit from each other). Both species are from the same geographical area and apparently the scorpion protects the geckos from larger predators and gives the gecko shelter while the gecko protects the scorpion from ants (so the story goes). I look forward to hearing more about this odd pairing hopefully the owner will put out a care sheet for this pairing so others can try it and learn from his experiences. So without delay here are some of the pictures I found. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment